A Penny for Your Thoughts
We reclined.
She said
I miss
him and more every time I drink like this and find myself out of character.
I
recalled her kisses of a few hours earlier, she said don’t worry you won’t lose
me. In the haze and flashing, heavy beat. I held her hands and looked into her. I said I know you’re drunk, but remember
always this is how I feel about you.
Kisses
hard, selfish, lustful as though punishing herself. I was taken aback but was lost anyway,
drowning deep in their fullness. In her
biting I found a joyful release of years.
I wanted this character, to feel to be the one. I didn’t want her words and tenderness to
only be the product of alcohol.
Reclined
in the car we did not talk of it. We
talked of human pliability. I spelled 'Dostoevsky' for her when I wanted to tell her how wonderful her kisses were, however
misplaced she may have felt them.
Whenever I would pause in search of the words, she would smile at me and
say a Penny for Your Thoughts. Even as I
listened to the first tear sliding down her cheek.
His car,
she said and I knew they still travelled together, knew I was spending this
time with both. I wanted to cry with
her, climb with her in this emotional landscape of heart, love, tragedy and
history.
I fell
deep into the well of her first waves of crying and then her laughter. Pain, joy, and the bittersweet blur of the
lines between them.
In the
morning driving and sunshine she said again a Penny for Your Thoughts. I just smiled and thought sadly of her leaving
soon. When I should have told her how
happy it made me when she phoned one night after 11 p.m. just to see how I was
doing. Or how her face lit up childlike
when she saw a fish-shaped jug on my kitchen counter. I mentioned something about Dostoevsky and
was charmed as she tried to pronounce his name again.
My day
was spent in frustrated search for the ways and means, the words to let her
Know. I never knew what it was I wanted
to say, but I kept feeling a need. I
tempered the desire to share my thoughts upon recall of her disappointment at
another friend’s departure, when he surprised her with apparent and unwelcome
secret love.
Instead I searched for Poet’s words, or other things
which would tell her a story of the
liberation she’d given me and of the prisoner I’d now become. Where every time I spent with her somehow
left me wanting to say something more, just as either of us walked away or in
the moments afterward.
Man is a pliable animal who becomes accustomed to everything.
F. Dostoevsky
Man is a pliable animal who becomes accustomed to everything.
F. Dostoevsky
© 1999 J. Popowich

Bittersweet.....
ReplyDelete