Monday, August 6, 2012

Delta 3200

I processed another roll of my favourite film, Ilford Delta 3200.  This film never disappoints me - it's not easy to use in daylight, like pointing your camera at the sun with an ISO of that level. I love this picture of the pigeon; very dark, old looking, as if shot in the 1930s

What Takes Place in Narrow Spaces
© 2012 J. Popowich

Here Michael, shooting in the same space with the M4-P. I absolutely love the texture of the stone and the brick. My first roll of Delta 3200 was shot in Paris; because of the sensitivity to x-ray scanning at the airport, I had it developed by a wonderful lab there, L'Atelier Publimod.  When I saw the photos I had taken along the Siene, with it's iron rings and stone work, I knew this was going to be one of my top films, ever.  I believe film grain is not unlike bokeh - where it's not simply that the background is out of focus due to shallow depth of field, but the character of that blur which is the goal of every photographer in their quest for subject isolation - grain has a character.  Just like the brushstrokes of a painter.

©2012 J. Popowich

I called this next one "War of the Worlds" because we were laughing that the lightpole looked like something from the original movie...very retro sci-fit.  But there was a geometry there that I also tried to capture.
"War of the Worlds"
©2012 J. Popowich
 I shot this one a few weeks back as soon as I saw it. Inspired by footage I saw of Daido Moriyama, shooting all manner of posters and trash in Shinjiku.  I named this one for poor Jack Bauer..unable to see his way out of this jam...stuck in the rain puddle of the street....
"24 - Season Finale; Alternate Ending"
©2012 J. Popowich
 This one was taken in the Misericordia Hospital tunnel; a bunch of us were painting as part of the "Meaningful Murals" project.
"Meaningful Murals Project - Misericordia Hospital Tunnel"
©2012 J. Popowich
 I titled this one simply "Stripes". I actually really like this shot - it captures this woman very much lost in thought. Normally photographers always try to not shoot people's backs, but this one is 3/4, and there's a sadness and anonymity to it that speaks to me. Her posture, everything about it is kind of gentle and lost.
"Stripes"
©2012 J. Popowich

No comments:

Post a Comment