Friday, February 7, 2014

The End of Summer




September 3, 2013:  I’ve met someone

I met someone who was beautiful.
Who once sent me strange stories
excerpts of  writing about chaos
and for a very brief moment, perhaps a minute
I thought she would never run away
but I am an old fool, believed her name correct
and I know inside these are the last summers I will ever have like this
and her gypsy heart was full of both little deceptions
and youth's larger departures.

I met someone who was a kindred spirit.
Or so I’d thought
for she told me,
I have watched the way you walk
and for months we laughed
and I admired her classical beauty
but she was a Liar inside and led a secret life and part of me knew
from the moment I kissed her she would betray me deeply
and so my love was often broken, failed
and I was left ashamed
the Fiction and true Cruelness of her character,
well-honed in the service of outcome,
and the cowardice and the erratic frailty of her own heart
made her believe it was necessary to shatter mine.

I met someone, again, who was once an old love.
And I tried all of my tricks and some days missed her special one
and there was a moment or two
of pure possibility but I watched again and again
as my actions were misread
and my complications moved around me
and the sun set
and the autumn approached
on any opportunity I probably ever had.

I met someone with a golden heart,
past all these selfish games
who admired and cared and loved me well
As I should be, and would never turn her back
for her own convenience
and we met and drank cocktails
and walked in that park
in those days of all my other rejections
But she is half a world away
and there are moments
I fear like before in other times what that someday might mean.

And so at the summers end
I gave something up.
And it was then that I met
Someone
in a mirror, finally,
truthfully
and was ready to meet again.

September 3, 2013
© J. Popowich

No comments:

Post a Comment