Monday, February 17, 2014

Garter




Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil.
            -           Aristotle

Garter

Staring at the full moon tonight I realize how I must have been so dazzled.  All of that gentleness you would come to loathe, blinding me to signs that were emerging even that autumn day.   The repeated departures outside.  The conversations I overheard.  The usual necessary displays of prowess. The repeated apologies to me, but with no change in direction so the words rang hollow.  And the already building disapproval inside you at thinking I was somehow lost or alone.  Or that I was committing that worst of crimes in your presence, the crime of simply being quiet.  But in fact, I had talked to many people during your ever-increasing absences since my arrival. You only saw what you wanted to.  Never to understand the real reasons why I simply wanted to be close at your side, and have you close at mine, on a day which is about togetherness and commitment.  Viewed as possession, it could make no sense to you.  My behaviours now in red pen in the notes you were taking.  Impediments to the doors you needed to keep open.   Perhaps it was here that was started the slow polishing of the lens that would come to view my every physical and social action and attraction.  A magnifying glass in a childhood game of power where weak and vulnerable ants are bullied and burned on the sidewalk. 

I was oblivious.  You see, I was simply too focused on catching the garter.  It was so like me, to think it was actually so important to you.  The symbolism.  Snapped it out of the air like the ninth inning closer.  Wanted to show you, prove to you.  Competed for you, for even just the first symbol of a future together.  Thought – if only just this once - that I’d actually won on a proving ground of common value.  Thought – if only just this once – that I’d made rules you would have to move within.

But despite the later claims and arguments, there were no feats of strength that would have saved me.  No way of being that could have altered your emerging path.  My destiny in your life was already made by your own nature.  Just like that of the bride we were there to support, who at the time was too dazzled by glittering things not to see that she wasn’t even really married.  Her union with the groom an illegal fiction already dissolving before everyone’s eyes.  The ignorance of people who try to hold shapes of melting wax or sand.

In the music the groom slowly removes his bride’s garter.  He shoots it clearly through the air now, arcing sharply into my hand.  I hold it tightly. I have never been so certain.  The crowd roars its approval at the unknown and quiet man in the back row.  My face hot with pride, turning to you, but your attention is elsewhere so that I have to seek you.  Look.  I have caught their garter.

But victory was never mine.  I hold in my hand only the falseness of them, and the falseness of you. 

            -           March 13, 2006

© J. Popowich

No comments:

Post a Comment