Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cloud


Cloud


The early Celts believed in “thin places”: [Places] where a person experiences only a very thin divide between past, present, and future times; places where a person is somehow able, possibly only for a moment, to encounter a more ancient reality within present time; or places where perhaps only in a glance we are somehow transported into the future.

-        EDWARD C. SELLNER in Wisdom of the Celtic Saints.


He tells her.

There is wind here now.  Night.  And I am cold without your arms or even your eyes to hold me.  A high stage.  Years take me to this last slope of snow and ice.  I held many different lives these past two days although now, in the finishing of this moment, they have been stripped from me and fall away into the darkness below. 

Look.  They are down there somewhere.  As ghosts or photographs illuminated by the moonlight.  For now I will stare at the aurora borealis.  And stars with meaning for the sailors.  I shiver, I wait for the dawn and the beginning of another life.  And although I will come to carry other worlds in my eyes and my heart, this memory is a cloud in the air that surrounds me.  It fills my lungs on every draw, from the moment of my return.  The sharp diaphragm inhale, of tears, gratitude, and sadness.

Back in town, I was so tired I never even heard you come into the room.  I only remember your arm in the dark.


© 1999 J. Popowich

No comments:

Post a Comment