Saturday, October 8, 2011

The M9 Chronicles...

Naturally I've been playing with the M9 as much as I can, but this hasn't meant shooting a ton of photos, but rather it's getting a feel for the menus. Thankfully the M9 has ridiculously simple menus...really there's only a few: the main menu ("Menu") which is an easily scroll with the click wheel, and doesn't contain 400 sub-menus within it; the "set" button, which in addition to acting as the selection button whenever an option is picked in the Menu, it also has a few options within it, such as white balance, compression, and exposure comp; and Info button which just gives you a heads up about battery life, number of shots left, etc. ISO is its own button, and is fast to set. It would only be faster if they designed it as a dedicated dial, like....film cameras!


Also been playing with the various shutter modes, particularly discreet, which is handy. I know the Fuji X100 and X10 have ridiculously quiet shutters (almost non existent actually) but this is the next best thing. Shooting a picture in the cafe, like the one below, then dropping the camera down under the table to let it wind is pretty quiet. I also did it at a conference recently and it worked very well, though I was disappointed with my photos...but that's not the camera's fault.


I also took the MP out with me tonight and did a few shots. It's still my favourite; feels like a bank vault in my hands. And it's a lot easier on batteries!

No comments:

Post a Comment