Photo: Taken from my bivouac sac at approx. 5:30 a.m. early August 1999. Summit of Mt. Edith Cavell after climbing the N.Face with Guillermo Barron. (Rollei 35TE, Fuji Sensia 100). "My best year? Certainly. It was when I did things - was a person, really - of an 'uncommonly high order'"....
Renovations
I love this house.
Yet like my life, it is constantly
running down.
Cracks and leaks appear, and I excite
– and anger –
at the thought of repairs
Of creation and new opportunity.
While I long for my life back.
They are all vain attempts at the
reversal of time, renovations to fool
me, this house, into a youth it no
longer possesses.
I steal back the years
I’ve lost
by digging through the mounds of
clay. The patching of walls. Moving
new structures or others into the empty spaces
left behind.
The garden grows; I grow older. Too
late now comes guilt. I see the
sacrifice of the sacred places in this
house, how I’ve denied them the
dignity of a decline. Constantly
patching the widening cracks in my
foundation, I want my life back.
(c) 2011 J. Popowich

No comments:
Post a Comment