I continue to mine the catalogue of my trip to Tokyo from time to time, part out of nostalgia to re-live some of those moments, and part out of discovery... finding new material that I'd forgotten I even captured, or seeing the better nature of images that I'd originally passed up when supposedly higher quality shots were more recent in my mind.
This is a good way to work, I feel. In the digital age, there is a desire for immediacy that borders on the ridiculous at times. There is nothing wrong with letting these things sit for a while - they don't all have to be published, Instagrammed or Facebooked within hours of being opened, to "let everyone see" and hopefully collect a lot of "likes". We shouldn't confuse expediency with quality, shouldn't be so impulsive as to not let things settle in the mind somewhat. Some distance is good when evaluating work; there are some highly-regarded photographers I have read the writings of who don't develop their rolls for about a year. I'm too impatient for that, and always have been. But I can see the merits in terms of editing.
There's no rush for any of this; it's a story that will continue to unfold in my life.
All images © J. Popowich






No comments:
Post a Comment