Whenever I head out for the evening, camera in hand, I'm always looking for shots that will somehow tell a story, profile something interesting in a look, or otherwise be somehow emblematic (for better or worse) of what the street and the nightlife will bring. It's like having a little sketchbook with me. Most people are okay when they see me raise my camera up; a few shy away. Naturally as the night goes on, some of them are probably too drunk to notice or care.
I called this next shot "If you're going to line 'em up, I just have to shoot 'em down". Here one of the bartenders at the Pour House on Whyte Avenue lines up the shooter glasses. Her raw, defiant look a prelude for what was likely the tequila to come. The Pour House is a great place by the way; good food, great service, great music.
This guy came in not too good, and we all suspected there was something besides alcohol at play; this wasn't late into the night, and the Pour House isn't that type of place anyway - it's not a 'club' in that people are stumbling drunk as the night progresses. After half a beer, this dude was ushered out the door.
Later, when Paul of Glasgow (sounds like a title, I know...I think I'll call him that from now on!) headed to the Black Dog we went to the rooftop where I was able to pull off a couple of portraits. But the light was really problematic...very dark. This girl - Danielle I think was her name, and I apologize if I've got that wrong, was from up north; she and her boyfriend had chatted with us at the Pour House and in addition to planning for a career in zoology or marine botany, she was also keenly interested in photography.
I'm quite pleased with this last shot at the Black Dog. Very problematic light with the huge bright sphere but I managed to capture this girl waiting for her friends, kept the details in the shadows (her tattoo), and her eyes. It sort of captures that vibe when people are starting to head out into the dark of the street, a certain ambience. I'm happy that it looks close to what my eyes saw - normally a bright light source in a very dark place is basically a nightmare to deal with. This is one of those shots that would have been enhanced even more by older lenses...a bit of flare would have given it even more of a feel.
I like doing portraits of the people more than anything. Some people have commented that my street photos contain lots of photographs of women; I disagree when you do a count. It's more that I seek photogenic people or try to capture something of them that they're perhaps unaware of. A look, a longing; a beautiful or proud profile. I also enjoy the process of looking at people - all people - from a different perspective. Historically, I'm often alone in these circumstances (but not always), but never feel as lonely because I feel as though I'm engaging in a type of conversation with almost everyone I see. Even when I don't trip the shutter on the camera, I'm still filling a sketchbook of sorts.




No comments:
Post a Comment