Thursday, December 22, 2011

Today



Today is the solstice
And for you, another trip around the sun
Bringing the promise of release from winter's grip,
and the days grow longer as we move
From darkness towards spring.

I'm sure you didn't know
that it marks the death of Samuel Beckett, or that
73 years ago they caught a Coelacanth
off the west coast of Africa 
...very much alive despite 65 million years of supposed extinction.  
And 30 years ago you were too new to know
or care
 that one of the Beatles’ marriage certificates had just sold at auction for $850.

But in the measure of time, of things.
Of the marking of events,
and the making of meaning
I hope someday someone reads
Knows
that this morning I woke
just after 2 am
To look at the night sky.
To write this for you.


© J. Popowich

No comments:

Post a Comment