I found some negatives of black and white Agfa APX400 I shot during my second attempt at Mt. Logan in 2003 with Guillermo. These weren't photos of the climb, but of the road trip, the waiting, the abandoned buildings, the long trip home in defeat.
The still frozen shores of Kluane Lake. We spent several days camped here, waiting for the weather to clear enough to fly in. It was from this spot that I would phone on the sat phone, back to Edmonton, and begin to understand deeper the chances I was taking not only on the mountain, but with the lives of others I left behind.
Sleeping in the campground. Waiting.
(Rabindranath Tagore - Lover's Gifts XXVIII: I Dreamt)
Abandoned building at the appropriately named Destruction Bay on Kluane Lake. I remember feeling pretty lost when I took this picture. Since 1986, The North has always had the most incredible pull on me; it draws me in, frightens me until I want to run away, but calls out to me like no other place so that I long, ache at times, to return to it.
Every day.



No comments:
Post a Comment